Pandemonium

Okay, I just have to get a few things off my chest, and writing them down here seems like the way to do it. I am going to start off by saying this is my opinion. We seem to be getting confused lately with differentiating facts and opinions. With that being said, if you do not agree, you don't have to come at me with hateful comments. I would, however, be glad to have a discussion that is based on facts and what we know to be true. Which honestly, doesn't seem like a lot at this point.

What I know to be true is that there is this virus. And this virus is causing people to die. Not every one dies. In fact, death rates are rather low when we look at the big picture. That is good news. But regardless of the numbers, people are dying. Yes, there are numerous Americans that die every day to suicide, motor vehicle accidents, and heart disease to name a few. These are tragic deaths. In my opinion, any death is tragic. That is someone's grandfather, brother, husband, aunt, etc. And I do really think that we need to be putting more resources towards prevention of these tragic losses. What if we actually stepped up and helped our Veterans that are struggling with PTSD? What if we helped people that struggle with obesity in different healthy lifestyle programs that were affordable to them? What if we got rid of the stigma associated with mental health and we really put an emphasis on our mental health care? This is definitely a conversation that we need to be having. When I hear people minimize the significance of the number of deaths that have occurred due to the virus, it just makes me think, what if that were my loved one? 

In addition, I hate that this has turned into a political debate. At first, I was so encouraged and thought that this whole thing would bring our country together. People were putting up elaborate displays of hearts in their windows showing that we are all in this together. I was so encouraged. But, lately, I have seen just the opposite. People are arguing about whether or not a virus that is killing people around the world is real. Regardless of whether or not you believe that this virus is the real deal, we need to be respectful of others. There are people with genuine fear that this virus could take their life. Our older population with compromised immune systems are fearful. Nurses that have to show up for a 12 hour shift to care for a patient that is known to have the virus. And then go home to their 2-year-old and wonder what this virus would mean for a 2-year-old. Or nurses and nursing assistants showing up to care for the most at risk population in nursing homes, hoping that they won't pass the virus on to their favorite resident because who knows how they would be able to recover? Paramedics, police officers, and first responders that show up to a scene where they won't know if the person that they are caring for has the virus. And even those that aren't in the direct line of fire. There are mothers at home wearing multiple hats trying to work, teach, discipline, and maintain the household. And fathers at home struggling with identity crisis feeling that they lack purpose. Teachers are navigating online learning for the first time. Relationships are being tested. Seasonal depression reemerging. Everyone is struggling with this in some way. We need to be careful not to dismiss the very real feelings that people are feeling.

I am not an epidemiologist, nor are any of my Facebook friends that have seemingly gone and become one overnight. But there are a lot of different aspects that go into determining the threat of any given disease. Ultimately, we don't know to what extent this virus will effect our local communities. We don't know when the "peak" will arrive. We don't know how long this will last. We don't know a lot of things. But the truth that I have been holding on to that gives me a little bit of peace in this crazy world right now is that we have a Father that is far bigger than the situation we are facing. This world that we are living in is not our final destination. And I find some peace in that.


With love, Kati

Comments

Popular Posts